Monday, June 3, 2013

Eldar Codex review continued...


HQ I'll continue the review with the remaining HQ choices for the Eldar. These would of course be the Phoenix Lords, Avatar, Autarch, and the named characters. Pretty much nothing radical happened here, but there are some some interesting changes to note.

Eldrad - The largest change to Eldrad is he isn't dead. It seams that the 13th Black Crusade didn't happen.. Huh? Anyway rant about the changes to story line are better left for some other post. Eldrad himself (I'm not dead yet) lost his ability to cast two of the same power in a turn and his staff of Ulthamar wounds on a +2 but is ap3. I was kinda hoping it would be ap2 but alas it is a force weapon. He is mastery level 4 so you have a good chance of scoring Doom with him, and can regain a warp charge after passing a Psychic test which is ok considering Fortune costs 2 warp charge. All in all not bad, it's Eldrad. (Seti grade: decent)

Avatar - The mighty Khaine is still a beast, he gained a wound to 5 and also 10 BS 10 I and his Wailing Doom is a ap1 weapon in HtH. He has all his tricks, like all Eldar within 12 inches are fearless. Interesting with BS 10 he rolls +2 to hit with his ap1 st8 12inch melta shot. and a +2 again if he missed. Basically your dice suck if you miss with his shooting attack. He can also choose from several Exarch powers. At 195 pts. he's a far cry from our 80pt Avatar back in 3rd edition, but he sure suits my cool Forgeworld model better these days. (Seti grade: content)

Autarch - Many of the reviews online I have seen say the Autarch is not worth taking. I think those people are simpleton thinkers. He's good, if you make him and use him right. A new feature I like is he adds +1 to reserve rolls or subtracts, giving you a better chance a unit you would like to sit a turn can do so (flyer?). Also new is the Autarch can choose from the Remnants of Glory list just like Farseers. So, if it interests you.. you can have an Autarch with the 120 inch ap3 sniper rifle and has Shrouded and Stealth, too bad he doesn't have infiltrate. My little warp jumping Fusion Gun at bs6 is even better with Battle Focus. (Seti grade: wide open)

Phoenix Lords - There aren't any huge changes to the way they play. I'm saddened to see their Aspects are not fearless anymore when they join their lord. Karandras is nasty. (Seti grade: most likely big games only)

Illic Nightspear - Never heard of him? That is because he is new. A Pathfider Phoenix Lord is kinda how I see him. Choosing him as HQ is the only way to upgrade Rangers to Pathfinders. (sob) But he's an HQ Eldar enemies are not going to like. Lets start with he can infiltrate anywhere on the table ignoring the enemy. Any Rangers or Pathfinders who out flank can deep strike around him with no scatter. He carries a power weapon and a ap2 sniper rifle that was the Distort rule, ie. a 6 to wound is instant death or a pen. to a vehicle. Oh.. all his shots are precision shots. And just for our Necron friends he has preferred enemy/hatred Necrons. (Seti grade: very cool, first new model I bought)

Price Yriel - The Iyanden savior is back, he's not my cup of tea. If I'm going to take an Autarch, I'll make my own thank you. Cool story line (Seti grade: meh)

On the whole, they didn't reinvent the wheel here, Nightspear will annoy some people as he picks off their characters.. Someday my Avatar will meet a Spiritseer. And I have intersting ideas about Autarchs and Remnants of Glory + wargear options. Some missed opportunities I think, but still very solid.

Next I'll tackle the troops....


No comments:

Post a Comment