Sunday, June 30, 2013

Eldar Codex review... Conclusions

I have basically run through the units, powers, ect. of each Eldar unit in the new codex. Yes, you might notice some units like Harlequins were never covered. They remain largely unchanged. For my final installment of the review I will cover the book itself, GW's over all release, and then finish with some missed opportunities.

First my over all grade for the 6th Edition Eldar codex is a B+. Phil, Adam, and everyone involved did a fine job. As a long time player/collector of all things Eldar, I am very happy. Battle Focus is very entertaining to play with and very effective. The designers have given the Eldar a unique rule no other army has that fits their fluff and only adds to table top enjoyment (though maybe not for my opponents). With rules like Bladestorm or Monofilament (along with the long overdue bs4 for the whole army) the Eldar army is stronger then it was in 5th Edition. I have plenty of treats to keep me entertained on the table top for many years to come.

The book design itself - The book is beautiful. The new artwork, along with some art we have seen in the past is excellent. I like the hardcover format that the books have shifted over to, I have no problem paying more money for something high quality. I love the summery in the back, makes it easy to find the rule I need very quickly. The overall organization is very good, in the three games I have played so far, it never took me long to find the answer I needed. Good storyline for the most part...

GW's release - I will be buying the following: Wraithknight, at least one Crimson Hunter, a Hemlock Wraithfighter, and some Wraithguard that I will arm for Hth and a Spiritseer. I will even buy a Farseer, because I like the new model. (that will make Farseer number 8 I think I own) So will GW get more of my hard earned money! That is a good thing for GW. I even bought the White Dwarf with the Eldar release, just because.

Ok, if you have been reading my posts, you know I am largely very happy with this incarnation of Eldar in the 40k universe. So time to take off the gloves! What went wrong or was missed?

Storyline issues - I've read many Black Library books including Farseer, Shadow Point, Path of the Warrior, Fulgrim. I'm a fan of the story. A major shift occurred in 6th Edition, Allies! You should have seen my shock when my beloved Eldar were listed battle brothers to the Dark Kin. For those not familiar too much with the Fluff, this was a major shift! All of a sudden Eldar trust Dark Eldar? wow. why? how? A missed opportunity in the new book is no real explanation as to how this happened.. A cool-ass page or so could have been written (loved the rise of Vect story in the DE codex) with maybe a meeting of Vect and Eldrad. Some grand decision that all Eldar life was too valuable, and Eldar killing Eldar had to end or they were all doomed.( I dunno, I'm not a writer) I was really hoping for a good piece on it, no such luck. (I've already commented on Eldrad being alive)

Skyfire - I'm very disappointed in the lack of Skyfire options in the codex. My guess is this is purposeful so that Eldar players buy flyers. For game play purposes, this bothers me. I'm not a fan of flyers, I don't like what they do to the game dynamic.  I much prefer a (Rome Total War) situation, were one army deploys in an area, the other in an opposite area, and we clash somewhere in the middle. Flyers, Deepstrikers, they kinda break this mechanic. Basically I would have loved to see more basic Eldar units gain Flakk missle ability. Off hand, Falcons and Vypers, would have been a good start. Skyfire for all Dark Reapers would have been cool.. A Swooping Hawk ability to clamp Haywire grenades on to flyers would have rocked!!! Yes, yes you want me to buy the new flyer kit... I will, but I can say I will only deploy them when I feel my opponent will do the same, not out of any great desire to use flyers myself. I'm also not a big fan of taking a Aegis Defense Line. lol most of my Eldar never stand still during a game....

The release could have been.. well More! - How about a White Dwarf article on making Eldar themed Aegis Defense Lines or Landing Platforms, Eldar themed terrain?? How about a construction unique to the Eldar only?  Somewhere, codex or White Dwarf, pictures of great Eldar conversions or painted units from past Golden Demons... Give us modelers some inspiration! I just found the whole release, slightly underwhelming.

Well, that is that. I hope you have enjoyed my take on the new codex. I have yet to lose a game. I have a list of models to purchase. Enough typing, I'm going to do some modeling. ~Seti


3 comments:

  1. Well, there is now cool bit of fluff re eldar/DE now in the Iyanden codex. DE arrive through a portal in Iyanden in time to help it stop an Ork Waaagh. They had really come to watch the fun of Iyanden performing necromancy and left with lots of ork prisoners as payment for their help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh good to hear, I haven't gotten my hands on Iyanden yet. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that you’re very talented with clean design and you should get much more attention because you also dig into the business area with your Blog.
    Rating Therapist

    ReplyDelete