Saturday, June 15, 2013

Eldar Codex review... Aspects

So I've got 2 games under my belt now. You can read about the second on Boroth's http://apostlesofcontagion.blogspot.com/

So back to the review and for this post I will cover the Aspects. For the most part, every Aspect got a little better. Some points costs changed, but I don't see that changing much how often I use my Craftworld's professional soldiers. The best analogy of the Eldar army I've heard is that they are a tool box, and have a tool to deal with any unit of any army. The job of Eldar commanders is to select the proper tools needed to win you the game. Nothing epitomizes this concept like the Aspect Warriors in the Eldar codex. What ever your battle field need, there is probably an Aspect who performs that role very well.

I included Dire Avengers in the troops section, so they won't be covered here.

Howling Banshees - I think many Eldar commanders have felt the Banshee Aspect has suffered in 40k editions ever since assault from transport went the way of the Squat. The Banshee +4 armor save combined with the classic t3 makes many in the Eldar family feel they won't get to their intended target. Sadly the new codex does nothing to help in this regard. Acrobatic rule adds to their run distance, but since you cannot charge after running, this does little to help their cause. The good news is the Exarch can take an ap2 +2st weapon. The Banshee mask provides -5int. But no Plasma Grenades?? I see the Banshee as a counter attack unit only. And for the most part I feel Harlequins preform the role better. Sadly, my opponents will see very few Banshee units ever on the table top. (Seti grade: disappointing)

Striking Scorpions - The Scorpion was, and still is my favorite Aspect unit. I love the beautiful models sculpted by Jes Goodwin. The Scorp, unlike it's sister the Banshee, preforms it's table role very well. Phil basically took the Exarch powers granted last edition and gave them to the unit. Fantastic! Infiltrate, move through cover, and stealth all come packaged. Plus after seeing Incubi get fleet, Scorps have it too. The Exarch weapons are largely improved. Chainsabres are now +1st. The claw is x2st. but not unwieldy! For years I used the Biting blade largely because I wouldn't arm an i6 model with a weapon that strikes at int1 (Seti grade: lovely)

Fire Dragons - I'm not sure why these guys have received generally poor reviews from other online reviewers. Yes they cost more, but with a +3 save now they are sure more durable. Add in Battle Focus and you have a pretty sweet unit. I've always felt a 6 man squad with a Falcon transport is a fine, and very useful unit to deploy with your army. I have only one small issue with their new look. The Fire Pike. It lost a point of strength so you are now paying 15pts. for a 18in. Fusion Gun. Not worth it in my opinion. I'll still use the Exarch (loves me some bs5) but will only equip it with it's standard Fusion Gun. (Seti grade: good)

Swooping Hawks - I like what the hawks can do. They are now the only "jump pack" unit in the Eldar codex. That said, I hate st3 guns. I learned the game on 3rd edition DE remember. I know st3 sucks compared to st4. I have a hard time using this unit for that simple reason. I'm sure they are effective. I think they need new models (especially after seeing the sweet Scourge models that the Dark kin get). I don't see myself buying any Swooping Hawks until a new model calls my name. (Seti grade: meh)

Warp Spiders - These guys are improved. Warp Spiders can move 6in.+ 2d6 in the movement phase or move normal as they are now "jet pack" so they get a 2d6 move in the assault phase. Er. BOLS people.. that ability to move normal is why they have Battle Focus... Their gun is great! The Monofilament rule means any roll of 6 to wound is ap1 and auto wound. Also any enemy unit int3 or worse hit by the Death spinner adds +1 strength to the weapon. Consider that "no ap" weapons are no longer a -1 on the vehicle damage table and ap1 is +2, these guys crack light armor very nicely. I don't quite understand the rapid fire choice for the Exarch's Spinneret Rifle, as the rest of the unit has assault. But that's minor compared to all that improved with this nasty little unit. ( Hey GW, I will buy a bunch more if you give us new models) (Seti grade: oh la la)

Shining Spears - I've never bought or used them. Just not a jetbike fan.

Crimson Hunter - Our anti-air flyer! It packs a punch with 2 Brightlances and a Pulse Laser. You can take an Exarch pilot. Vector dancer seems cool. But.... no vehicle upgrades and armor 10 mean this thing will get shot down pretty easy. Especially with the fact I'm seeing more defense lines used every game. The Model is very cool looking, yes I will buy and field a couple of these guys. (Seti grade: could be better, could be worse)

Dark Reapers - The Reapers are interesting. New to them is the option to take a st8 starshot missle. They also ignore jink with the Reaper Range finder. The Exarch can take the Eldar Missle Launcher, with Flakk missles if you like, so there is a skyfire option to the unit. Basically Reapers still take down power armor with their 2 shot st5 ap3 gun, but can also crack tanks or flyers. Any time you expand the type of units a particular unit can destroy you have improved it I say! They are also Slow and Purposeful now so they can move and fire their heavy weapons. Nice! (Seti grade: were good, now even better).

Like I've said for each section so far, largely I like what GW has done. Most of the Aspects are better then they were in the last edition of the codex. The Banshees need help though. I have one thought, allow them to assault after a run move. That would give them a special place in the army that Scorpions and Harlequins cannot fill. my 2 cents.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget that the warp spider exarch is jump pack infantry and so relentless - can fire spinneret rifle and still charge. And it is AP1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys, when I am actually willing of reading these blog post to be updated regularly. It offers fastidious stuff.

    ophthalmic instruments

    ReplyDelete