Thursday, June 27, 2013

Eldar Codex review.. Vaul's work

For the next installment of my review, I will cover the vehicles Eldar use in battle. When I think of the models that made me fall in love with Eldar, first on the list is the Falcon variant. I own 3 Falcons, 2 Fire Prism, 3 Wave Serpents, and a Warp Hunter. (currently) The sleek look of their tanks sold me on that army. I remember looking through the 3rd edition rule book and reading the battle report between Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers (I think it was Andy). I loved the Eldrad converted Farseer and the Falcon. While I was played Dark Eldar at the time, I knew some day I would have an Eldar army. Enough about aesthetics!! What has good ole GW done to my favorite toys?? Well.. of course every single vehicle unit who was bs3 is now bs4.

Wave Serpent - The main troop carrier of the Eldar is much improved. I think the protection and maneuverability of this vehicle is supreme. It does exactly what I want it to do, get it's cargo to the point on the battle field where I want it. The Serpent Shield is amazing, basically any pen that gets through the jink is a glance on a +2. Add a Holo-Field to improve the jink by +1 and you have one tough nut to crack. Using the 6ed rules this bad boy can fire two heavy weapons and still move 12in. Twin linked Bright Lance and Shuriken Cannon, plus a Holo-Field. (Seti grade: Drools..)

Falcon - Still as solid as it ever was, there is nothing wrong with an Eldar Falcon. The Laser Lock rule given to the Scatter Laser seems to fit this vehicle better then any other. Laser Lock is any successful role to hit with the Scatter Laser and the other weapons on the Falcon are twin linked! So the Pulse Laser and Snap firing Shuriken Cannon are twin linked. Rhinos have met there match. The Falcon is a fantastic enemy transport hunter, while mine often carries 6 Fire Dragons to let lose. My only wish is a flakk missle option would have been cool.. (Seti grade: very nice)

Fire Prism - Do you feel a sense of me saying everything is better then it was before? It's true! The Fire Prism is fantastic! Gone is the option to combine the beams, but new is the 3 stage Prism Cannon. Yup you have three choices on how to fire your main weapon, st. 5 ap3 large blast, st7 ap2 small blast, or st9 ap1 lance. Basically the Fire Prism is an all purpose killer. Battle Wagons, Land Raiders, Marines, terminators, you name it. Love this thing!! Crystal Target Matrix makes sense here. With it a vehicle can move flat out and fire one weapon at normal bs. once per game. Could be handy to have a Prism about 30in and fire it's Cannon at normal bs. (Seti grade: "Excellent" in a Mr. Burns voice)

Night Spinner -  Basically fires a monofilament large blast or template. A poor man's Warp Hunter. With the log jam of fantastic heavy support options, I find an Eldar player hard pressed to field one of these. Lucky my opponents pretty much have no problem with Forge World units. (Seti grade: meh)

Vyper - Is what it is, better with bs4 no doubt. Cheaper to add a Starcannon. Usually, I add fast attack at the end of my list building when I have extra points. Maybe another unit that could have gotten more exciting with a Skyfire option. (Seti grade: good enough)

War Walkers - Have battle focus and a +5 inv save. Not bad! Think Tau maneuvers for a second.. They are a unit with a Skyfire option! So you could take Flakk missles with them. Can you guide vehicles? I'm not sure in 6th edition... If you can a Flakk/Scatter Laser option might interest me. (Seti grade: nice)

Wraithlord - Yes I know not a vehicle, but I'm putting it in this part of the review. Gone is the Wraith sight rule. Good riddence! I forgot that rule so many times... The old Wraith Sword is now a Ghostglaive. Mastercrafted, +1 strength ap2. The Wraithlord lost 2pts of strength (before ghostglaive) gained +1 attack to it's profile, now 3. Still a lovely model. (Seti grade: just fine)

WraithKnight - The new toy. Basically a double Wraithlord. Twice the wounds and twice the points +1int. A fine looking model, I look forward to making and painting one. Use wise, I think larger battles is where I will use this toy.(3000pts or larger) My first thoughts on a build is Suncannon/shield/scatter/star. Guide and or Doom... That's a ton of ap2 twinlinkage. You have a choice between 2 Heavy Wraithcannons 36in st10 ap2 distort, or Suncannon 3 shot small blast st6 ap2. I'll add another 2 st6 ap2 shots with a shoulder mounted Starcannon, and hopefully twin link it all with the Scatter on the other shoulder. A nice centerpiece model for the army, I wonder if it is larger the my Revenant Titan... (Seti grade: impressive)

Hemlock Wraithfighter - An interesting little unit. This flyer seems to have a purpose causing fear. It fires two D-scythes st4 ap2, distort, templates. My latest game was against a Chaos player who used 2 heldrakes. They caused a lot of damage. Templates from the air, ignoring cover.. suck! I will  enjoy using some of my own. But back to fear, it has  pyschic power Terrify. The target unit within 24 inches loses fearless and all Eldar units count as having fear against it. Also the mindshock pod forces a reroll on successful moral or pinning tests of any enemy unit within 12 inches of the Hemlock. I will definitely explore one of these. I really like the model, wish it had a Holo-field. (Seti grade: seems cool)
--- After re-reading I realize Hemlocks get Heavy D-scythes, 18in st4 ap2 blast Distort, sigh... template would have been cool...
There you have it. Pretty much the Eldar have some very good, very interesting vehicle choices. As an player am I happy? Mostly yes. I'll give my final thoughts and cover some of the misses in the codex and my last post on the codex review next... till then thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. God reviews so far. Its obvious the new codex has got you excited about Eldar again. Not that you ever weren't excited but a new excitement maybe.

    As far as your question about guiding vehicles I believe you can.

    What about the fighter plane? It is great at anti-air although being only armour 10 is easy to take out I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put that one in with the aspects. Thanks for the answer on guide. Couldn't find it anywhere in the FAQ or rulebook.

      Delete
  2. The laser lock really works best with the wave serpent, not the falcon. Twin linked scatterlaser will almost always (well it will fail about once every 6500 times it fires) hit at least once and laser lock the shuriken cannon and (more importantly) the serpent shield.

    The scatterlasers will even get at least one hit on a plane 3 times out of every 4 to twin link the shield for a fairly viable AA option (I killed a dakkajet just yesterday with one).

    ReplyDelete