Saturday, June 8, 2013

Game On!

Let's break from Codex reviews, meta-game, and what not. I played my first game! All the theory in the world doesn't replace actual games on the table. Eldar vs. Joe's Orks 2000pts. We rolled Emperor's Will for the game and Dawn of War for deployment. In Emperor's Will each side places an objective in their own deployment zone, the two forces fight to control one or both.

The list -

HQ - Farseer 100pts. Trait - With and eye on distant events, Guide, Death Mission, Eldrich Storm.

- Warlock Conceal/Reveal 35pts.
- Warlock Protect/Jinx 35pts.
- Warlock Destructor/Renewer 35pts.

T - 10 Guardian Defenders + Bright Lance 155pts.

T - 10 Guardian Defenders + Bright Lance 155pts.

T - 10 Guardian Defenders 135pts.

T - 9 Dire Avengers + Exarch Disarm 140pts.
Wave Serpent - Bright Lance, Cannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone 155pts.

T - 9 Dire Avengers + Exarch Disarm 140pts.
Wave Serpent - Bright Lance, Cannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone 155pts.

El - 9 Striking Scorpions + Exarch Claw/Crushing Blow 220pts.

El - 9 Striking Scorpions + Exarch Claw/Crushing Blow 220pts.

Hv - Fire Prism - Cannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone 160pts.

Hv - Fire Prism - Cannon, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone 160pts.

2000pts.

The Game went well, Fire Prism st.9 Lances took out both Ork Battle Wagons very quickly. This is a good thing as both contained Nob squads! Considering turn one was night fight, and by the end of turn 2 the Ork transports were dead, I would say the Eldar ability to kill vehicles is not diminished. I even heard Joe say " I don't know why I take vehicles against Eldar". hehe.

I would say Eldar psychic powers are a lot less reliable. My Conceal Warlock died to perils of the warp. I failed 2 other Warlock casting tests. The Farseer did fine. 24 inch Guide is very cool. Twice I guided Dire Avenger shooting (they were shooting at Nob squads) who were at least 18in. away from the Farseer. With the increased range of the powers you have the ability to effect a much wider range of units then in the last edition of the codex. Also, I found Eldrich Storm very useful. Flesh Bane/Haywire is very effective coming from a large blast template.

Battle Focus is fantastic. Every turn units were moving in, shooting, and then pulling back. 6th edition allows you to only disembark units from a transport if said transport moves 6in or less in the movement phase, a run roll(+ fleet) really helps extend the units fire range! I'll warn you this really extends the time of the Eldar phases (of course I was just getting used to the new rule) but Eldar turns seemed to take a lot longer then Ork phases. I saw immediately though how effective it is. While I didn't see great effects from the Bladestorm rule (largely because I was playing against Orks) The improved BS of Guardian units shined brightly. My Craftworld plumbers and leaf rakers are a much improved killing unit.

The game ended in a draw. Both armies held their own objective. But I'm pleased, I stopped cold the Ork advance with a combination of Fire Prism shots and Battle Focus units combining fire against the most threatening enemy units. Orks managed only two charges all game. Both being small in attacking numbers of models. Final thoughts....

- I tried to disarm the Ork Warboss of his powerclaw. It didn't work.

- Waveserpents don't need Spirit Stones, Holo-Field +1 jink and the Serpent Shield do just fine.

- I need to make more Guardians, lucky I have 20 more to model and paint (purchased at Rock-Con)

- 2 units of Striking Scorpions is probably too expensive now for a 2000pt. game.

- My first configuration of the Dire Avenger Exarch was to give him just Disarm Exarch power, and not bother to twin-link his Catapult or pay for any sword, ect. I actually placed him in the lead of the unit and used his +3 save until I failed it (no look out sir). I might keep doing this as it saved several Avengers from death.

- Over all my list was smaller in model count, and die a little easier with no guaranty of Fortune. But they hit like a ton of bricks if coordinated properly.

Am I happy with the way the army played in my first game, hell yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment