Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Eldar Codex review... Troops


For a long time, I've felt the health and longevity I will play a army is based on it's troops. Are there options as to how I can sculpt a unit? Or are there multiple units I can choose from to make up the base of my army? Are the models cool looking? I need diversity! I've been immersed in the 40k universe for 13 years now. I learned the game playing 3rd edition Dark Eldar, a year later Eldar, then I built a 4th edition Necron force of about 3500pts. The only army I still own from the early days is Eldar. I think my total points stand around 8000. Truth is I got bored with both DE and Necrons, because both (at the time) only had one troop choice. That means over countless games my tactics for DE and Necron games were always the same. (really the same for Necrons, DE  I did have a few tricks up my sleeve) One of the many reasons I love playing Eldar is their troops selections. I admit I employ the same philosophy in every game I play with Eldar, but the way I can do it game to game varies, thanks in part due to the troops selections.

Troops

Dire Avengers - Last edition they were my favorite troop choice. I don't see that changing much. Bladestorm is gone of course, but Battle Focus and semi-rend makes up for it I think. One thing that bothers me is, gone is the option to take 2 Catapults for the Exarch. That is now replaced by a twin linked Catapult. How does a twin linked weapon help a bs5 model? Yes, yes, re-roll should I be unlucky enough to roll a one.. and not be guided.... come on Phil!! (Seti grade: fair)

Guardians - The bump in bs I already mentioned. As did I discuss the improved Warlock powers. Gunners are gone. One Artisan and or craftsman fires the weapon platform with in 2 inches of it. That's kinda cool, no more picking off my gunner! The platform itself has a profile now, t5 1w +3 save. So you could put it in the lead should you not have a conceal Warlock with it. And you can take 2 platforms if you have a unit of 20.

Most online I've seen have written off the Storm Guardians, I'm not so sure. 2 models can have fusion guns or flamers, and 2 models can take a "power sword". I'm considering using the 6th edition "power weapon" rules to give them 2 "power axes" so I have a cheap unit that holds a couple ap2 weapons... see how they work. Only complaint is I wish Storm Guardians could take Haywire Grenades.. sigh. (Seti grade: improved)

Rangers - No more Pathfinder upgrade! (sob) No more ap1 shot with a wound roll of 6. but they are cheap as hell points wise. Expect to see a unit in almost all my lists. (Seti grade: fair)

Jetbikes - The Antaries Craftworld Eldar don't use jetbikes. They are cheaper. But,  refuse until new models are released by GW. (Seti grade: fuck the cone heads)

Wraithguard/Wraithblades - Are a troops option if you take a Spiritseer. (that's cool) Same profile st5 t6. D-Cannon is st 10 now with Distort rule (instant death/auto pen on a 6 to wound) They also can carry a  flamer called a D-Scythe instead, st4 ap2 with Distort rule.

Wraithblades are close combat Wraithguard. Same profile, but can take 2 swords ap3 or a +2 st ap2 unwieldy axe plus a forceshield +4 inv save. I like the new models and expect to make a unit with axe/shield to combat terminator squads or Nobs. (Seti grade: nice!)

If you count Storms as being separate from Defenders, Eldar have 7 troop different configurations. That's a very healthy variety! Troops are the back bone of a 6th edition army, and the Eldar codex provides a player with plenty of effective choices. Very well done on the whole.  Next the aspects..

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've never liked the look of Eldar Jetbikes. So I've never used any.

      Delete
  2. Really pleased to see the improvement in Guardians, always loved the idea of them. You're right about the jetbike as well, awful model.

    ReplyDelete