Friday, September 25, 2020

First 9th game and stuff

Cobra!

 I was able to play my first game of 9th edition. Jake had me over to test out the new edition. Chaos vs Chaos is always a fun game. I must say, my initial take on 9th is that it is better then 8th.

I really like the improved rules for terrain. I simply went to a page in the rule book and each type was there with it's "keywords" below. Keywords being sub rules of each category of terrain type. So, players agree on which type each piece is before the game and the rules are set. Some rules make a unit subtract 2in of movement, others make a unit harder to hit. This really gives back some complexity to the game as what you are standing on or in, matters.

The other thing I really liked, but Jake could not find in his online version of the rules, are the secondary objective system. So we didn't use them. I really like the concept though. 3 sub objectives that you choose from based on your army, what it does well and what your opponent brings. There are several to choose from and they can add a lot of points if chosen well. Another decision from the game player that can determine the outcome of the game. I'm all in favor of player decisions impacting the end result of the game. I'm in favor of bringing some complexity back to the rule system.


On the hobby front my 20 cultists are finished. I enjoy the heads that I purchased from https://www.reptilian-overlords.com/product-category/heads/. Sadly, they don't appear on their page anymore so they may have been limited. As a child of the 80's, the Cobra heads are cool. I don't leave home without a cheap unit of cultists, you can always use a cheap troop.

Kull the conqueror
Lastly, my latest finished model. Kull Sorbo, Exalted champion of the Nightlords. Vigo is gaining more minions as he extends his power in 40K land.

On the 30K front, my quest to build an all 30K model army for a future Adepticon continues. I'm taking a break from 40K models for a while and on to 30K Nightlords in MKIV armor. I've finished a 6 man tac support squad with plasma guns and currently working on 3 sergeant models. Then on to 21 basic troops. That would allow me 3 vet. squads or a single 20 man unit to go with the 3 terror squads. Well over 4000pts. of 30K Nightlords.

I also modeled 5 more carrying missile launchers taking my total to 7. A nice heavy weapons team if needed. I'm waiting on Horus Heresy book 9. It's currently out of stock. I really like the Nightlord rules I've read about on the internets. Until next time.

Ave Dominus Nox.


No comments:

Post a Comment