Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year

Awesome Book!
I've been busy planning the D-Company Big Game, finishing another semester of school, life flies by sometimes. Santa was kind, bringing me Imperial Armor 13. It's a must have for any Chaos player. Game wise, I've played about 5 games since I last posted. Though I tried to not play Night Lords till they were painted, I couldn't resist getting my hands dirty. I'm still feeling things out going 2-3. It's about finding that balance of weapons, I've already bought a 3rd rhino for my troops. The 10 man Raptor squad is modeled and ready to be primed. Paint wise I'm working on the last three Terminators. So many little details on the Chaos Terminator models... I'm looking forward to some easier models as next on my list are the Havocs and the 3rd troop squad.

Planning a large battle- For those who have never tried, running a large event takes a lot of effort. The Big Game is our gaming groups main event of the year. Players come from out of state to play so there is plenty of pressure to make sure it is a game that is well planned out. There will be about 15 players on a large board that numbers 12 tables at least 4 x 6 each.

The kind of game I've always wanted to play involves each player having their own objectives, I feel there is more individual joy in playing your own little small part in a larger battle.

We aren't using Apocalypse rules. I feel 7th edition gives us players a good enough template of force organization. The players are allowed 5000pts. Battleforged or Unbound. The ability to add detachments basically means one can reach 5000pts. pretty easily. The players are allowed formations and superheavy units.

There are two structures restricting units from entering the table. A com tower controlling a drone network that, while active, prevents all physical entry by air to the table. So Flyers, jump packs, wings. The shield generator stops all forms of teleportation or summoning. Examples being Terminators, Warp Spiders, or Daemons. Certain players will have to control these objectives before those units may enter the game.

Besides assigning missions, a GM must make sure the sides have relative balance. Placing the players on the overall table so that they are not severely disadvantaged by distance needed to travel or too many enemy commanders near by.

Each player will get a primary, secondary, overall team mission, plus a secret extra credit mission. They will receive general intel into their specific placement on the board and their missions. On the day before the game they will get their full mission packet. Only then will they specifically know how they will be judged.

This isn't an objective game or a game that will be counted by "points" When the game ends, Mark, who is helping develop the Big Game with me, and myself will judge each player on how well they performed in achieving their missions.

My thoughts on Imperial Armor 13- As I said above I think it's a must have for any Chaos player. Along with plenty of Horus Heresy vehicles there are Greater Daemons, rules for cool vehicle upgrades such as being a vet. of the Siege of Vraks... As I really want a Night Lords Contemptor Dreadnaught, there are now rules to use it in 40k, which is great. The Renegades and Heretics army list has some quirkiness to it's rules but on the whole a fantastic book.

Back to work. I'm building terrain, painting, all the while working on Night Lords. I'll try to have more frequent posts with what I'm up to. Happy New Year gamers.


No comments:

Post a Comment