Sunday, June 3, 2018

Night Lords vs World Eaters with Beta Deepstrike

Berzerkers vs. Atramentar
Things get dull in the Eye of Terror and when there are no Imperial heads to bash in, the traitors must make war against each other. A few Saturdays ago I took the trip to Mike's place to tussle with his World Eaters lead by Kharn himself.

Never to shy away from new rules we agreed to try out the beta rules on Deep strike. These rules can be found in GW's latest FAQ. Basically, any unit wishing to enter the game via reserves (deep strike, teleportarium ect) on turn 1, may only do so in their own deployment zone. Or wait till turn 2 to arrive in their opponent's zone.

Of course this was only one game. I used the same Night Lords type list I usually play. This included 2 Raptor squads, Terminators, and Obliterators all entering the game via (Deep strike). Mike had some units enter the game in this fashion as well, including a large amount of Bloodletters. Spoiler: neither of us found the rule to be that big of a deal. Now, did it alter the trend I have seen in 8th edition that most of the game happens in the first few turns? Not so much but maybe it helped a bit.

The World Eater deployment.

The Decimator and Maulerfiend face a Leviathan.
The match itself was pretty much a solid victory for the Night Lords. We ended the game after 5 turns as there were only a few of Kharn's followers remaining. I held off my Raptors, Terminators and Oblits till turn 2. Mike did the same with his units.

Ultimately the combined firepower in my list, which included a 10 man unit of Noise Marines, proved deadly. Endless Cacophony!! A 30 Deamon unit of Bloodletters showed up in the Night Lords backfield, but they were soundly hit by Sonic weapons before Vigo the Carpathian himself finished the Daemons.
Well, hello there!
While it was an enjoyable game, I'm not sure how much the beta rule changed things. I suppose to some degree it did help make the 1st turn at least, less deadly. I'm happy to say it didn't hinder anything I was trying to do with my tactics as a Night Lord player. Just one game, but I figure, why not share my early findings?

Ave Dominus Nox.

2 comments:

  1. I love battle reports!

    I feel that the new beta rules on deepstrike will, as you say, not affect the game so much for the casual player. I do dislike getting "alpha strikes" that I am susceptible to just because I am not bringing in my deep strikers first. If, for example, I suddenly notice after deployment and other random things occur that I may need my deep strikers to "cover for me" and land turn one in my deployment zone. This protects me from that over-eager first turn deployment zone ass-whuppin that one can get.

    Still, some of the stratagems, traits, and what-nots can mitigate this. One still has plenty of flexibility. Also makes transports on a more even-keel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I waited too long to post this one as many of the details of the game were lost to the warp.

    ReplyDelete