Sunday, June 1, 2014

Defeat!

Well a couple things happened when I played my friend Mike and his Word Bearers on Saturday. First, I played my first game in 7th edition. Second, my Eldar suffered their first defeat with their new codex. I'll start this report with a disclosure. When I do a battle report, I take a small notebook to write down the key moments of each turn, this time I didn't. Maybe I'm getting old, but it's hard to remember the action completely a day later! Also, while I have the new 7th edition tome, Mike does not. To get him to agree to a game in 7th I offered that I would guide him through the rules and changes. This further distracted me from any accurate notes on the turn by turn action of the game. So, unlike other battle reports I've posted on this blog, this one will be more a general summary.

Full disclosure- I became aware of at least one thing we did wrong. Perils of the Warp are caused on any double dice rolled when a player uses Demonology powers. We only did it on 6's as per the rules of most psychic disciplines. Eh, first try with new rules some mistakes will be made.

Word Bearer deployment
Mike's Word Bearers list consisted of 2 Sorcerers, 3 Troops of Marines plus 2 Rhinos , A Terminator guard for his Warlord, a Forgefiend, 2 Maulerfiends, 2 Heldrakes.

Antaries came to the table with 1 Farseer, 2 Warlocks, 1 Spiritseer, 2 Dire Avengers plus Wave Serpents, 2 Guardian Squads, 1 Nightwing, 1 squad of Dark Reapers, 1 Fire Prism, and 7 Warpspiders.

I don't have the Tactical Objectives card set yet (they were sold out when I purchased my rulebook) so we rolled on the basic mission table. After dice rolls, Dawn of War deployment and the Crusade mission would be the game we played. I often find keeping it simple for the first time with new rules is a wise idea. Word Bearers would deploy first and per the rules they would choose to have the first turn also. We rolled 4
Eldar deployment
objectives that would be worth 3 victory points each. Also in play were the First Blood, Slay the Warlord, and Line Breaker. The mission also had a Night fight roll which was achieved. Turn 1 would be fought at night.

Unable to seize I was happy my Eldar largely deployed in cover. That, combined with the Steath each unit receives meant Eldar casualties on the first turn were fairly minimal. Only a few Guardians were pulled due to Forgefiend fire.
A look at the battlefield post deployment
In our first ever Psychic phase, it became clear to me that I was best served saving my deny dice for summoning powers. That said, rolling 6's is a requirement to deny summons. Something I would sorely lack all game long. It mostly seemed I was one 6 short on most rolls, unfortunate. Side note on terrain- we simply called our tree bases Twisted Corpse from the rule book. So in a way there are rules for forests.

The Eldar first turn was eventful enough to produce First Blood. Plus peck some wounds off the Maulerfiends I knew I would eventually have to face. The Word Bearer turn 2 saw the arrival of the 2 Heldrakes. Ugh. My Eldar, especially the Guardians, rely on cover saves. Two ap3 flamer templates falling on Dark Reapers and Artisans and Craftsmen did not feel good. I really have grown to dislike Heldrakes. Even after their FAQ, they fly on the table so you can't stop their initial attack. Then they lay a template that ignores cover, is ap3, and does not scatter.

Death awaits the Eldar with nasty big, pointy teeth.
Undaunted I kept with my battle plan, My big guns tend to focus on taking out transports and units that move at speeds beyond 6in basic movement. My infantry Eldar pepper the ground forces with Shuriken fire, using Battle Focus to out maneuver the slower enemy. I've noticed something already in 7th edition and that is the damage table for vehicles. The changing of the table means its much harder to "one shot" any vehicle on the table. This hurts me. And anything ap3 or higher, cannot "one shot" because Explodes! is now 7.

Trouble.
Summoning was starting to take it's toll. The psychic phase was basically each force doing what it wanted, I don't remember too many spells denied. I think one per side was nullified. I took two Perils of the Warp, using the Ghosthelm on one. (The other I had no charge dice left to use)

The tactical problem with summoned units is they take up resources to deal with. Especially when a Blood Thirster shows up. I faced Bloodletters, 6 Bloodcrushers, and the Blood Thirster. Lucky for me two units had a Deepstrike mishap. Sadly both were only put back in reserve. I would forget that later in the game as they came on the board edge where Warpspiders were lurking. I'm not crying that Summoning is broken. Not at all, and never after just one game. It sure is something new to deal with. Lets be honest, the game becomes 1850 (non summoner) vs. ? for the summoner. I don't know point costs of Daemons but I'd gather I faced around +500pts. in that game. Some may say the answer is "you can summon too" well... they aren't Eldar players. Or they aren't real Eldar players. I love the storyline GW has created around the game. I've read plenty of the books. Eldar won't even travel by warp. (If you want to read about the one time they did, read Farseer by William King) Never.NEVER will Antaries Eldar summon the foul creatures of the warp.

Not a good position for the Fire Prism.
For the first time in a long time. Something found a Fire Prism in HtH. This was partially my stupidity for not moving it earlier and partially because weapons needed to be allocated to killing daemons, a Maulerfiend crushed the Fire Prism. I did have one great success in this game, Witch staff and blades vs. Mauler and Forgefiends. I killed two that way, not bad.
The Spiritseer takes the Mauler down to 1 hull point.

The Farseer dispatches the last of the Bloodletters.
As the game went on the Eldar forces started to wither away. Chaos was losing models too but not at the same rate and they were constantly being reinforced. I knew by the end of turn 4 that things were starting to look bad. I hoped for a roll that would end the game early. I still had second player turn which was always helps in an objective game. Plus, my force was well built with four troop choices.
By turn five, the Heldrakes still reined fire down on Antaries forces. Word Bearers controlled the objective in the ruins. The Forgefiend controlled one of the objectives near the center of the table. The far left was uncontrolled, and the far right in Antaries hands. This game was still anyone's for the taking.

The Word Bearers made a mistake and though they could have secured the far left objective, they did not as the Word Bearer Warlord and his Terminators moved against Eldar forces instead. This left me an opening and while the Eldar Warlord Farseer took down the Forgefiend with the help of a Warlock, I move my last Warpspider into the Chaos deployment zone. I have the far right objective. Game ends now its 8 to 3 Antaries. Nope, I'd rolled 1's and 2's plenty but not when I needed one.

Dire Avengers hold the objective barely...
Turn six meant Word Bearers had another turn to remove the Eldar from the objectives they held. Antaries lost one, but in my turn I secured one from the Terminators. Again if the game ends, Eldar win it 7 to 3. Nope... We decided to end the game despite the impending turn 7. Word Bearer victory. My hats off to Mike, he played a good game with a tough list.

Conclusions- 
The game took about 5 hours, longer then normal but I'd account plenty of that to new rulesitis. Several things we needed to look up and we missed the doubles on perils for Deamonology powers. My charge dice actually outnumbered his but I just couldn't get the 6's needed. In the future I think focusing more resources on killing the Sorcerers to stop the tide of daemons. Also I'll consider giving a Farseer Sanctic powers. Heldrakes? maybe more Dire Avengers and less Guardians because of the invulnerable saves over cover. Maybe my Nightwing will have better luck. 





2 comments:

  1. Seeing as this is the first game that your eldar have lost in over two years. . . the summoning rules are balanced? Or balancing -?

    Good report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they sure help Chaos. Who, I have kicked around on a regular basis since the new Eldar came out. Which is good, as I state in the report, my personal jury is still out. But, I'm thinking they are balanced. I won't like it if certain armies way outside the fluff use summoning purely for competitive reasons. Thanks for the comment it's always good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete